Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.
- El (im)posible proceso de duelo (Spanish Edition).
- Article Metrics.
- Tell Me a Story: Sharing Stories to Enrich Your Childs World!
- LInitié: Le Maître du Temps, T1 (French Edition).
- Kinds of Reasons: An Essay in the Philosophy of Action - Oxford Scholarship.
- Explanation, Internalism, and Reasons for Action* | Social Philosophy and Policy | Cambridge Core.
Academic Skip to main content. Search Start Search. Choose your country or region Close. Ebook This title is available as an ebook. To purchase, visit your preferred ebook provider. Oxford Scholarship Online Available in Oxford Scholarship Online - view abstracts and keywords at book and chapter level.
Maria Alvarez , King's College London. It does not disappoint" - Constantine Sandis, Times Literary Supplement "Alvarez's bright and breezy book is about action, reasons, motivation and explanation Also of Interest.
Reasons from Within Alan H. Personal Agency E. Self-Constitution Christine M. Moral Brains S.
Kinds of Reasons, An Essay in the Philosophy of Action by Maria Alvarez | | Booktopia
Matthew Liao. Self-Knowledge Ursula Renz.
Nor should it be confused with Activity Theory. Basic action theory typically describes action as behavior caused by an agent in a particular situation.
Donald Herbert Davidson (1917—2003)
The agent's desires and beliefs e. In the simple theory see Donald Davidson , the desire and belief jointly cause the action. Michael Bratman has raised problems for such a view and argued that we should take the concept of intention as basic and not analyzable into beliefs and desires. In some theories a desire plus a belief about the means of satisfying that desire are always what is behind an action.
Agents aim, in acting, to maximize the satisfaction of their desires. Such a theory of prospective rationality underlies much of economics and other social sciences within the more sophisticated framework of rational choice. However, many theories of action argue that rationality extends far beyond calculating the best means to achieve one's ends.
Philosophy of Action: An Anthology
For instance, a belief that I ought to do X, in some theories, can directly cause me to do X without my having to want to do X i. Rationality, in such theories, also involves responding correctly to the reasons an agent perceives, not just acting on wants.
- Cavernous Malformations of the Nervous System.
- Reasons for Action: Internal vs. External (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy/Summer Edition).
- Action theory (philosophy).
- The Bedsers: Twinning Truimphs (Mainstream sport).
- Ghost Board Posse #2 Aloha Haunts!
- The Finer Things!
While action theorists generally employ the language of causality in their theories of what the nature of action is, the issue of what causal determination comes to has been central to controversies about the nature of free will. Conceptual discussions also revolve around a precise definition of action in philosophy. Scholars may disagree on which bodily movements fall under this category, e. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
This article includes a list of references , related reading or external links , but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
- Herzog Magnus II.: Ein Kind seiner Zeit oder seiner Zeit weit voraus? Ein Herzog zwischen Mittelalter und Neuzeit (German Edition).
- Why We Write: 20 Acclaimed Authors on How and Why They Do What They Do!
- Private Thoughts Upon Religion and a Christian Life, Vol 2?
February Learn how and when to remove this template message. What is left over if I subtract the fact that my arm goes up from the fact that I raise my arm?